As the only 4TB 7,200 RPM enterprise-class drive in the industry, and one with a 2.0 million hours mean time between failure (MTBF) specification, the Ultrastar family is the ultimate solution for 24x7 enterprise applications such as big data, cloud computing, data warehousing, video-on-demand, disk-to-disk backup, and massive scale-out storage implementations.
Now IT managers can get 2.4 PBs in the footprint of a standard 19-inch storage rack by stacking ten 4U, 60-bay enclosures. The Ultrastar 7K4000 family can also help datacenters achieve lower AC power and HVAC requirements. With five Advanced Power Management modes, the Ultrastar 7K4000 achieves a 59 percent reduction in watts from peak usage during low RPM idle mode, and uses less than 1W during standby/sleep modes, freeing up precious headroom for growing datacenter needs.
The 7,200 RPM Ultrastar family is one of the most popular high-capacity hard drives for enterprise applications, with demonstrated field reliability. The Ultrastar 7K4000 family is set to continue this standard with a five-year limited warranty and a 2.0 million hours MTBF specification, resulting in a 40 percent lower annualized failure rate (AFR) than enterprise drives rated at 1.2 million hours MTBF.
Top 5 reasons why HGST’s 7,200RPM enterprise-class hard drives help keep TCO to a minimum:
1. Third-generation, field-proven Ultrastar design, with industry’s highest MTBF specification on a 7,200 RPM HDD to help reduce system downtime.
2. Easier integration and simplified product qualifications as a result of extensive interoperability and compliance testing in HGST’s advanced Systems Integration Test Lab (SIT Lab).
3. Better GB per square foot (GB/sq ft.) and watts/GB when compared to its predecessor or 2.5-inch, capacity-optimized, 7,200 RPM enterprise hard drives.
4. Features a Dual Stage Actuator (DSA) and Enhanced Rotational Vibration Safeguard (RVS) for robust performance in multi-drive environments.
5. Models are available with a bulk data encryption (BDE) option to help keep information safe.
The Ultrastar 7K4000 family features a 6Gb/s SATA interface and a 64MB cache buffer. It is an Advanced Format drive, using 4096-byte sector size, and is backward compatible with legacy 512-byte sector size by offering built-in 512-byte emulation through the SATA interface.
By subscribing to our early morning news update, you will receive a daily digest of the latest security news published on Help Net Security.
With over 500 issues so far, reading our newsletter every Monday morning will keep you up-to-date with security risks out there.