Qualys’ new WAF service is delivered through the multitenant, highly scalable QualysGuard Cloud Platform, providing customers centralized management capabilities, distributed protection and ease-of-use, whether applications are running on premise or in the cloud.
WAFs work by shielding web sites by applying a set of rules to HTTP conversations to prevent them from being attacked. However, WAF technology is costly and complex to apply because these rules need to be customized to the applications, and they must be updated often to cover changes to the applications and to address new and emerging threats. As a result, many organizations cannot afford to deploy WAFs, or they can only deploy them on a select number of mission critical web properties.
The new QualysGuard WAF is designed to provide:
- Real-time application defense, blocking attacks against websites as they happen.
- Application hardening, minimizing application attack surfaces by providing a shield around coding defects, application framework flaws, web server bugs and loose configurations.
- Low-cost, automated service maintained and updated by Qualys’ security experts providing new defenses and features transparently to users and site visitors.
- A multitude of deployment options for distributed WAF protection points managed through a common, central policy administration and reporting interface with APIs for integration.
- Always up-to-date rules.
- Immediate rules deployment on all WAFs connected to QualysGuard.
- Maximum efficiency as rules are strengthened with security events from all WAF customers.
- In-cloud or on-premise web site protection, with a SaaS platform providing centralized management for distributed WAF virtual appliances.